Did your son have this account by himself?

By | August 31, 2015

Did your son have this account by himself? Are you sure that HE was the one that took out the money? If his father did the overdraft that would change things. I would contact your local mental health office and see if there is anything they can help you with.

It depends on what state you’re in. When I was a senior in high school (17 years old) my dad didn’t pay some medical bills from when I sprained my ankle. 3 years later, during college, I had debt collectors calling me, a judgment was placed against me and my bank account was seized. In Pennsylvania, when it came to debt there was no recognition of a minor. So even though I was a minor at the time of the medical bills, and even though I had clearly stated in the paperwork at the doctor’s office that my dad was the responsible party, I ended up with a judgement against me.

I think that if the father took out the money that it considered fraud. I would write a letter to this effect. Sign the document yourself as your name in care of ______ sons name ______ a minor disabilied child. Then see how they handle it. Overdraft fees are the worst! I’m going to have to switch around which cc I pay because I did an overdraft protection and now my cc of 6.99 has a hundred dollars at 20 percent tacked onto the end of it because I made a math error. Sigh.

No, my son never used this account. His dad was the only person to use it. I don’t get why I should contact mental health.

I would only contact mental health if your son used the account. If your son never used the account but your ex husband did in his name… then overdrafted… sorry but that’s fraud. It’s illegal to use someone else’s name. If this is the case I would contact the banks fraud department. It’s not your son’s bill.

It’s not fraud. It was a joint account in both names. He didn’t use my son’s name, he just used the account as his own.